Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Merc Crazy

So I've been going a little merc crazy recently. By that I mean that I haven't played Cryx since KingdomCon. While I am being hugely tempted to jump back into Cryx with all the Wrath releases coming up, I vow to stay strong until I have Scaverous painted. Then all hell will break loose. Seriously, that guy looks like off the chain fun.

But as to my merc craze, there was supposed to be a 35pt tourney at Thou Shalt Game last Saturday (June11th). With that in mind, I knew I wanted to play Durgen, cause I've been having so much fun with him recently. I also knew that Joe would be there, presumably bringing eLylyth. So my second list had to be able to deal with that, cause I knew she'd shoot Durgen dead. Ashlynn was a possiblity, but even then, all it would take would be one hit to kill her, while I wouldn't be able to bring most of my guns in that list to be able to shoot anything (ATGM excluded). So Gorten it was, but I didn't know what to put in the list until I started looking through my collection and Gorten's spell list. And that's where I found my 2nd list to Durgen.

Gorten w/Solid Ground upkept, throwing out Rock Wall as needed, with 4+ Tough Boomhowler's who can't be knocked down thanks to solid ground. So I got to painting like mad Friday night, and ended up with 10 Boomhowler's with most of their base colors in. I didn't get time to paint on Sunday, but here's a little preview of how they're coming along.



I really need to get my lightbox set back up :p

Anyways, the tourney didn't end up happening, but I did get in 2 games against Joe. The 1st was with Durgen vs. his Absylonia tier. I had first turn, and moved stuff up. 2nd Turn, he moved Absylonia up, on top of a hill w/ Tenacity so that she's DEF 19 against ranged/magic, but there was a Forsaken within 2" of her. He left her without any fury, so I figured this would probably be my best shot at it. I probably should have tried to consolidate and take the 1st strike, but hey, Durgen is batshit crazy, so why not. With all my deviation rerolls thanks to Dougal, I ended up getting 3 of Durgen's 4 AOE's on her, and took her down to 3 life with some relatively average rolls. My last shot was with an explosivo'd Gunner w/1 focus. 4 dice on the attack for a RAT 6 vs. DEF 19. Rolling a 12 is a 75% chance, plus maybe getting a favorable deviation if I missed. I missed. Bad deviation. Typhon was close enough to Durgen to end it, but I still had my Basher. Durgen tuned him up, and I'm like, I'll choose damage rolls, and use the jack marshall to boost the attack.... then he slammed at Typhon and ended up outside of Thor's command range. Missed his slam, so Typhon got slipstreamed out of combat and sprayed Durgen's face in.

The next game was Gorten vs. Joe's eLylyth tier. So the goal here was to use Boomhowler's with 4+ tough to block LOS to Gorten and the important squishy pieces of the army (like Thor)... but I was an idiot and forgot to do that my first turn as I moved up. Joe was kind enough to kill me fast, and then let me smush the boomhowler's together like I should and keep playing. It was a good time. Since he only had 1 Ravagore, I was able to just tough it out through a majority of the game with all those boomhowler's, protecting Gorten upfield so that I could pop his feat and smush eLylyth's dirty stealth ranged face in.

All in all, good day, and a good learning experience for playing with Mercs. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to nab Scaverous tonight... hopefully

All in all

No comments:

Post a Comment